Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "File exists" error when adding route for local machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, John McNamee wrote:

> I get the error message "Writing to routing socket: File exists" every time
> my system boots.  This has been happening ever since I installed 2.1R, so it
> isn't anything I've broken by hacking since then.  The error is in response to
> the command "route add smoke.microwiz.com localhost" generated in
> /etc/netstart.  smoke.microwiz.com is the official name of my machine (it is
> what hostname is set to in /etc/sysconfig, and is what a reverse DNS lookup
> on my IP address would produce).

That error, from what I can tell, just means the route already exists.
Take a look in your static routes section of /etc/sysconfig; there is a
route made for the loopback interface.

I don't think there is any problem there, if the error really annoys you
try removing that route.  (I have a feeling I'll be shot down over that one)

An ifconfig line may be configuring that for you (possibly an ifconfig
for lo0).