Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:49:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Problem

> Agggghhhh! A _FEATURE_! (Insert Twilight Zone Theme here) I've been warped
> into a Microsoft list! A _FEATURE_! :-)

Yep, a feature, and you actually have the Microsoft case backwards.
What they'd allow you to do is ONLY have the user be restricted to a
small sandbox and getting at any other files because, say, the user
was an administrator, would be impossible out-of-the-box and you'd
have articles in NT user about how to work around this limitation with
all sorts of wizardly tricks.

> Really? Seems like that's "releasing" a lot of info the "great unwashed"
> shouldn't be privy to.

Well, UNIX systems have been typically run in environments where the
"great unwashed" is actually a skilled userbase who would be extremely
displeased _not_ to have this work (as would I since it violates the
principle of least astonishment all over the place to have the trusted
user so constrained).  It's only comparatively recently that ISPs and
their shell account machines have essentially introduced the new
phenomenon of mixing truly unskilled & potentially hostile users to
the UNIX environment, and it will take some time to figure out what
security issues are raised by this and deal with them accordingly.

					Jordan