Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:38:09 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Richy Kim <richy@apple.com>, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Subject:   Re: packagetool.tcl

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 19-Jun-01 Alexander Langer wrote:
>
>>Thus spake John Baldwin (jhb@FreeBSD.org):
>>

>>>It is modular enough (I think and hope) that one can simply "plug in"
>>>another
>>>package library at the bottom to support multiple package styles.
>>>
>>Do we want support for multiple package formats?
>>Libh's format hasn't etablished yet and I wonder if it ever will.
>>What do you think?  I can focus on libh's current package format if
>>people think it's worth it.
>
> I think it is worth it because there is actual code there.

Yes. Also, as Will mentionned, OP does not have a lot done, and it's
doing stuff more on a common ports dir anyways.

> Also, for
> transition purposes, it might be good to support the "old" package format we
> currently have as well, thus if it abstracts packages somewhat so that it can
> support multiple package formats, that would be very nice.

I think supporting the old package format will somehow be mandatory, or
it will create total panic.

Anyways, the old package system is pretty simple and would be "upward
compatible", AFAIK. It is also "extensible", somehow, so we could add
@comments tag to reflect libh additional functionality, just as it was
done with the ORIGIN tag.

Just brainstorming here...

> However, it also
> needs to be finished sometime, so don't do it if it is too much work.

Of course, we have to have an attracting-brand-new-look-at-my-car libh
to make people actually *switch* to libh. ;)

> Regardless, I would not axe its current package format for the time being.  We
> can change it to support OP later when OP is better defined.

Yep.

--
Antoine Beaupré
Jambala TCM team