Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 23:49:39 -0400
From:      "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        =?ISO-9550?B?o8C359TCv82jwA==?= <fengyue@bluerose.windmoon.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High-end FreeBSD configration suggestion needed

If you are going for a RAID5 solution:

Make sure that it is a totally hardware RAID solution, for now.

AFAIK, FreeBSD does not support any RAID5 card (in RAID mode)
except the DPT SmartRaid IV, which is broken hardware- it does
not seem to generate completion interrupts (Simon Shapiro can
correct me if I'm wrong here) when in a RAID5 configuration,
which causes extremely poor read and write performance.  Simon
is currently working on an I2O driver for the DPT SmartRaid V
(et.al.) which should have better results.  (We have one of
the SmartRaid IV cards, and all that DPT can tell us is that
it is a "known problem".)

I'd use some external SCSI RAID5 tower that looked to any OS
like a single SCSI disk.  I belive that wcarchive has this kind
of configuration.  I don't have any specific recommendations in
this area...

Perhaps shortly (if I can convince the people here), we will see
a public release of the vinum RAID5 software module.  This decision
is mostly in the hands of Lauren Works (lworks@cybernet.com).  Please
poke her with email if you'd like to see this feature unencumbered
(Greg Lehey [grog@lemis.com]) wrote this for Cybernet under contract).
Tell her I said "Hi".  ;)

-Mark Taylor
NetMAX Developer