Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:00:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        cjs@portal.ca, dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> > > Linux requires the OSF.  The version of the OSF PAL code that comes
> >
> > Bzzzt, sorry.  Linux actually works best with the ARC console though,
> > if you compile your kernel to support it, it will apparently boot from
> > the SRM console as well.  So the correct answer is that Linux will
> > support both ARC and SRM consoles, DUX and *BSD only SRM.
>
> Strange.  That's not what the documentation that came with my
> Linux CDROM that came with the machine along with the PAL code
> floppy says...
>
> Of course, you could be right, and the people who wrote the Linux
> and the accompanying documentation could be wrong.

Could be, and considering that I've always booted Linux using ARC, was
told by Maddog & Aspen Systems both to boot from ARC, and see it as
the default kernel configuration option (you need to specifically
enable the SRM support, go look in the Makefiles for yourself), I'd
say that it's a pretty strong possibility that the doc is indeed wrong
or you misread it. :)

				Jordan