Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:38:23 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        debois@diku.dk
Subject:   Re: Finding ports

On Feb. 8, 2004 Søren Debois <debois@diku.dk> wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:27:59AM -0600, Tweax Daemon wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:15:48PM +0100, Søren Debois wrote:
> > >         /usr/local/bin/fetchmail
> > > install the above file?
>listed
> > if I'm understanding you correctly.
>
>Not quite. Motivating example: I am used to the existence of a utility
>/usr/local/bin/wn. Doing 'make search name=wn' does not turn up anything
>useful. How do I find out which port (if any) will provide the file
>/usr/local/bin/wn? Generally, for any file, how do I find out which
>ports provide it?
>
>--
>         --- Debois

Hi,

This is far from perfect, but may get it done for you.

Many ports include a pkg-plist file that lists installed files. (Some
ports dynamically create the plist, others may use Makefile
variables instead of having an actual plist.)

I'd imagine there's some trickery  (grep, etc.) you could do to
extract port names from occurences of a string in the pkg-plist
file.

(Note that the prefix, in this case /usr/local, is not included
in the plist.)

Regards,
Clayton

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/