Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:35:02 +1000
From:      richo <richo@psych0tik.net>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BCM4313 support

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On 18/08/11 13:49 -0400, Eric McCorkle wrote:
>On 8/17/11 7:12 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>On 18 August 2011 02:51, Eric McCorkle<eric@shadowsun.net>  wrote:
>>

>>>I have been working on porting the BroadCom linux driver.  I don't have =
much
>>>time to work on it, though, and it's a rather daunting task.
>>
>>Cool! Is there anything we can do to help?
>>

>Well, my objective is a working BCM 4322 (the card on macbooks)=20
>driver.  Someone who better understands linux drivers could take a=20
>look at the wrapper code for the linux driver, and might be able to=20
>port it.
>
>More info: The broadcom linux driver consists of a closed-source=20
>object file, compiled with standard linux kernel calling conventions,=20
>and a bunch of linux wrapper code.  It appears that the Broadcom=20
>engineers did a relatively good job; the object file makes calls to=20
>the kernel via an osl (presumably OS layer) interface, which seems=20
>pretty generic.  One of the headers appears to define the linux=20
>instance of this layer, but it would seem others exist (probably for=20
>windows, for instance).  The rest of the code is simply linux driver=20
>stuff that sets up interfaces, etc.
>
>The closed source .o file itself isn't stripped at all, and between=20
>the known compiler flags and the headers that give types for=20
>everything, there's enough information for complete=20
>reverse-compilation.  I've been working on this myself, but I have=20
>very limited time to devote to it.

Is what you have so far available anywhere?

I've been putting off learning more about drivers for some time, and have a
macbook 3,1 that I want to install FreeBSD on. I can probably kill two birds
with one stone.

I also have some older hardware with a broadcom nic of some kind (uses the
b43 driver on linux) that I can fiddle with.

Cheers

richo

--=20
richo || Today's excuse:=20

We've picked COBOL as the language of choice.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--