Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:59:32 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Re: 5.1 - should I?

> From: Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:53:10 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> As you've probably seen from my previous posts, I'm having a heck of a time
> getting 4-STABLE to play properly on this Thinkpad R40.  My #1 problem has to
> do with the power management.  After running through a variety of kind
> suggestions I'm still no further along in returning this box to it's owner.
>
> I'm a little leary about putting 5 on there, as it'll be my first install of
> this version.  I wouldn't mind so much playing around with it on a box that I
> would have in front of me, but this is going to a user that has no intention
> of learning Unix.  That's what admins and geeks are for :)  Having not used
> I don't know how well I'll be able to support this user right away.
>
> 4-STABLE does not appear to be a solution for me on here.  Even so much as
> having the screen blank causes this box to become unresponsive.  I'm heavily
> leaning towards the opinion that what I've got here is a problem with how
> FreeBSD deals with that ATI Radeon 7500 card.
>
> At this time there is no critical data on this laptop.  Lot of time compilin
> apps, but nothing I can't do over.  Right now is the best time to figure out
> which way to take this, as the user hasn't had a chance to work with it at
> all.
>
> Sorry about the rambling here.  I'm on the fence as to which way to take thi
> installation and I was rather hoping for a little push one way or the other.
> Some of the questions I have running through my mind...
>
> 5-CURRENT
>
> 1. Will it properly talk with this ATI card?

No better than 4.8, although I have not seen your problem with this
chip. The vtys never fail on my system. Only the graphics port has a
problem. The system can't deal with the display powering on while
running 1400x1050. Do you know what the R40 screen runs at in vty? If
it's 1400x1050, that would explain a lot!

> 2. Will it resolve my power management issues?

Not sure what power management issues you have, so I can't say much.
APM is about the same. ACPI has a poor track record on ThinkPads, but
I have reports that it is working on some models. The R40 is very new,
so, maybe.

I do know that I can't put my units to sleep when they are on AC
power. I have to unplug the AC and then hit suspend. I THINK that is
the only problem I've seen.

> 3. Built in wireless working?

Maybe. If you have the Cisco card, it will work. I belive that the
Intel card uses  a Symbol chip and is not yet supported. Maybe someone
can confirm this. (My T30 uses a Prism 2.5 chip.)

> 4. Anyone out there with a similar setup on 5?

Yes, but running on T30 and 600E systems. I can send you the config,
XF86Config, device.hints, and loader.conf files.