Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:54:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Hagan <dhagan@acm.vt.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security-digest V4 #181

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, security-digest wrote:

> From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
> Subject: Re: Intruder Lockout

[snip]
> right either :).  Besides which, suppose someone enters the wrong password
> in the POP or IMAP mail reader -- it may retry the connection several
> times (if set to check mail often) before the user notices, and lockout
> can occur quickly in that kind of situation.
[snip]

Having been suckered into part-time WinNT administration, I can confirm
this.  We have users who print through our servers from Win95 boxes.  When
they put the wrong password in (to access the domain resources), the Win95
boxes bang on the domain until the account gets locked out and I have to
clear it.  What a pain in the butt.

Daniel

--
Daniel Hagan              http://www.acm.vt.edu/~dhagan/           Head Admin