Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:36:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
Cc:        Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Eddie Irvine wrote:

> Keith Woodman wrote:
>
> >         After following the discussion regarding the releases of product.
> > I am left <as a consumer>, wondering what is considered a sound product to
> > install on a machine. The frequency of CD releases leaves me wondering.
> > "well what was wrong in the last version they said was the next
> > kewlest thing".
>
> I installed the 3.0 CD as well, and keeping current caused me a lot more
> work than I imagined.
I tested 3.0 on a spare box and found it still had to many problems so
didn't do my production servers. Now I got the 3.1 CD and will install
that first on a non production box and test all the bits off code that
are required on my production servers out before dyving in and upgrading
the 5 production boxes here. I would sugest anyone who has production
boxes do this that way so to minimize downtime. Don't be dumb and install
a new release because you can test it first.

> Now that the 3.1 CD is shipping, the dust has settled quite a bit.
Yes but I would say test it first.

> FreeBSD is permanently a "work in progress". If you are wondering what
> CD to buy next, you may be missing out on one of the big strengths
> of FreeBSD over, say, Red Hat: The ability to keep your machine in sync
> with the latest STABLE code. You can't really do this by buying CD's -
> as soon as a CD is released, parts of it are out of date in a few hours or
> so.
That is what cvs was invented for .. and that I why I switched all my
machines to FreeBSD when 2.2.6. was released. However I don't just run
cvs on all those machines I have a dedicated box that cvs's all the code
and then builds all the code and runs a number off test scripts that test
all the code used in the production boxes and then sends me a report if
it fails if not I upgrade the production box by mounting it's hd and do a
automtic install then I log in to the production box check if any changes
are required in /etc and reboot the server. My  maximum downtime is 5
minutes per upgrade unless some hardware goes bad but that is not the
fault of FreeBSD.
> You need to learn about "cvsup" and "make world" and "compiling a
> custom kernel". It's worth doing, although a little intimidating to
> begin with.
No not really it's a one time thing to learn and should take no more then
10 minutes ... and you can automate the process by dumping those commands
in a script and have cron do all the work over the weekend or when you are
at work for those who have their boxes at home. just do the buildword in
the script so that incase off errors you can iterveen before installing
with installworld when you get home.