Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2015 07:42:13 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update incorrect hashes

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 14:22:51 +0100 rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote

> Am 2015-12-23 13:25, schrieb Aristedes Maniatis:
> > I've had problems with freebsd-update for many years now. It is by far
> > the least reliable component of FreeBSD since I started with the
> > operating system back at 3.4 in 1999.
> >
> > Anyhow, I'm usually able to get past the exceedingly slow downloads
> > and errors to the upgrade process, but this time nothing I do will get
> > me to the end. I've tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update but several
> > hours later I was at the same place again. The internet link is fast,
> > but with a web proxy in this location, some downloads are slightly
> > delayed while the virus scanner on the proxy does its thing. Perhaps
> > 3-5 seconds delayed.
>

> The problem is phttpget or the proxy, depending on the point of view.
>
> Some proxies have (had) problems with the pipelined http requests that
> phttpget seems to use.
>
> apt (Debian/Ubuntu) has, too - but they can be disabled altogether
> there.
>
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OwcOVJamJOoJ:https://www
> .astaro.org/gateway-products/web-protection-web-filtering-application-visibil
> ity-control/55213-http-pipelining-broken-after-upgrade-utm-9-3-a.html+&cd=1&h
> l=de&ct=clnk&gl=ch
>
> IMO, there should be an option to use wget instead of phttpget. Or at
> least disable the request-pipelining.
> There was a PR with patches floating around to make freebsd-update use
> wget, but it never gained traction.
>
> Also, didn't phttpget have problems with proxies needing authentication?
> I usually have authentication at the proxy disabled for *.freebsd.org
> for this reason.
I concur, to the extent that phttpget[1] runs pretty much "blind".
As it it, phttpget blindly accepts any 200 response, and drops
any other response. What does this mean? Why would/could this be
a problem? It slurps all 200 responses; meaning; if the response
is not a file, but a web page asking for some kind of response
from you, *that's* what phttpget downloads. It also means that
if the 200 response is a web page indicating that the file you
are looking for has moved, and has a link to it's new location.
Then *that's* what phttpget downloads. The possibility's go on,
and on. But you get the picture. :)

--Chris

[1] http://www.daemonology.net/phttpget/