Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:30:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      thinker <thinker@branda.to>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/25986: Socket would hang at LAST_ACK forever.

The following reply was made to PR kern/25986; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: thinker <thinker@branda.to>
To: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:28:45 +0000

 > It is more dangerous to time out LAST-ACK than FINWAIT-2, because
 > FINWAIT-2 sockets normally transition into TIME-WAIT whereas LAST-ACK
 > sockets are destroyed immediately.
 Yes, timeout at LAST-ACK make we can't make sure that FIN had been
 received by the other end. But, if we can't not receive any ACK for
 a long time, it can be thinked as a broken host or network. Diagram
 in RFC 793, page 23, donot draw out what should we do when we had
 detect a connection broken (by any way) at ESTAB state, too. It tell us
 what is right but what is wrong. What I want to said is "Can we be
 imcompatable with dead site?".

 --
 thinker@branda.to		Branda Open Site (BOS)
 thinker.bbs@bbs.yzu.edu.tw	http://www.branda.to/