Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2021 19:32:26 +0100
From:      Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable Maling List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        carlj@peak.org
Subject:   Re: Rasberry Pi 4 has no USB

[Retransmssion, stupid HTML mails]

G'day, Carl,
=C2=A0
On 2/28/21 11:26 AM, Carl Johnson wrote:
> I have an 8GB RPi 4B that I am trying out, but it has no USB response at
> all=2E=C2=A0 [=2E=2E=2E]
=C2=A0
I second the suggestion to do a brief trial with Raspbian or so=2E=C2=A0 I=
 currently run mine under -current as below, but can confirm that I have be=
en able to run it since 13 with USB keyboard and mouse=2E I currenly am log=
ged in via the net, so without further USB devices, at least the hubs shoul=
d be present:
=C2=A0
[root@rpi4 ~]# usbconfig =C2=A0
ugen0=2E1: <0x1106 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DSUPER=
 (5=2E0Gbps) pwr=3DSAVE (0mA)
ugen0=2E2: <vendor 0x2109 USB2=2E0 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=
=3DHIGH (480Mbps) pwr=3DSAVE (100mA)
=C2=A0
[root@rpi4 ~]# uname -a
FreeBSD rpi4 14=2E0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14=2E0-CURRENT #1: Tue Feb 23 02:30:31=
 UTC 2021=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 root@rpi4:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64=2Eaarch6=
4/sys/GENERIC=C2=A0 arm64
=C2=A0
I can share a 14=2E0 image I used to initially boot if you have somewhere =
to push it (FreeBSD-aarch64-14=2E0-GENERIC-a63eae65ff8-RaspberryPi4=2Eimg, =
seven and a half gig, roughly; an xz=2E I'd expect at around two)=2E
=C2=A0
I did, though, have to do a couple of tries with Raspbian initially to put=
 a recent firmware onto my RPI4B8GB=2E
=C2=A0
HOWEVER=2E
=C2=A0
I also have an odd observation which is that there is NO OTHER USB device =
BUT the above and my mouse/keyboard=2E This is quite odd since I do have mo=
re devices connected (most notably a umass JMicron-JMS561-based device [1])=
 and naively hoped that also on arm, USB devices would at least show up as =
ugen-something=2E Well, at least keyboard and mouse did work, did they not?
=C2=A0
I did boot with rasbian, all comes to life instantly and beautifully=2E I =
even was able to update some firmware on the JMS-thingo, see the disks, all=
 blinkenlights there=2E Back to FreeBSD -- again, silence=2E I now really a=
m scratching my head and also have run out of ideas=2E=2E=2E though kind of=
 luxury, compared to you, I guess=2E
=C2=A0
Any help appreciated, and Carl, as written, if you want my image, where sh=
ould I put it?
=C2=A0
Cheers,
=C2=A0