Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:16:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        charon@freethought.org
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connectivity problems with current.freebsd.org

> I'm sure this is a silly question, but then why does usw3 appear to _be_ a
> mirror?  Why have usw3 at all?

It's NOT a mirror and I really wish people would stop jumping to
conclusions with tenuous data because it's really very simple and not
like anyone is currently speculating:

1. There is a machine called current.freebsd.org (AKA usw2) which
   runs 4.0-current and builds -current snapshots.

2. There is a machine called releng3.freebsd.org (AKA usw3) which
   runs 3-stable and builds -stable snapshots.

3. Both of these machines share a large ccd disk volume (I don't
   need vinum to do what I already have ccd working just fine on)
   which they copy their successful snapshots to.

4. Each machine runs an ftpd and points to this common volume for
   exporting the bits in a way which is obviously easier for me
   to maintain.

- Jordan