Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:39:52 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features

On Dec 7, 2012, at 2:30 PM, CeDeROM wrote:

> Hello Chuck :-)
>=20
> DD cannot perform non-destructive test.. unless I do dd if=3D/dev/ada0s2a
> of=3D/dev/ada0s2a :-) Do you think drives are now smart enough to remap
> badblocks this way? What is the probability that there are no badblocks or
> badblocks are not detected this way?
>=20

SpinRite is one way to find/correct bad blocks non-destructively (it will e=
ven do its best to resurrect data from bad blocks using intense heuristic a=
nalysis).

NOTE: SpinRite is not free (see grc.com)

Also, maybe I should mention my own LiveCD/Rescue disc (which does have the=
 badblocks program you're looking for):

FreeBSD-9.0_Druid-1.0b60.iso
or
FreeBSD-8.3_Druid-1.0b60.iso

(the former for 9.x and the latter for 8.x).