Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:50:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
To:        jdm@cbemg.cb.lucent.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   56k modems

jdm@cbemg.cb.lucent.com writes:

 > What equipment do I need on my end to use
 > the 56k modems? As I understand it, a digital
 > line is required so that must mean a channelized
 > T1 and some sort of channel bank to demultiplex
 > the line. Any help or pointers are appreciated.

	Channel banks usually end up with d/a conversions, which
is what you must avoid in order to support 56K modems.

	Various router vendors have several products. I work at
Cisco, the AS5200 and AS5300 both support 56K modems.

	Also, be aware that there are two competing standards
at the moment, X2 pushed by USR/3Com (they're the same company
now) and Kflex, pushed by Rockwell, et al. Cisco gear supports
Kflex at the moment, though I believe just about every vendor
out there stated they will support whatever standard becomes,
well, standard early next year.

-jav (not a Cisco spokesperson)