Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 1995 08:08:08 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        dufault@hda.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NEC 4xi CDROM - what now?

    Peter> Paul F. Werkowski writes:
    >>

    >> Q. How can you recognize a pioneer?  A. He's one with the
    >> arrows sticking out of his a^H but.
    >>
    >> It may be true that the NEC 4Xi is the first SCSI device to hit
    >> FreeBSD-land that actually returns XS_BUSY status to the
    >> Inquire command. The immediate problem is that this gets into a
    >> code branch in scsi_base.c that looks like this:

    Peter> As I mentioned to Paul, I found a NEC 4Xi for $299.00
    Peter> tonight so I bought it.  I can read the NEC demo disk on an
    Peter> Adaptec 1542C (can't do much, no Windows).  Is anyone out
    Peter> there using any NEC CDROM on a 174x without any trouble?

	I hacked on the ahb_poll() code in aha1742.c a bit and managed
	to get the driver behave a bit better resulting in being able
	to successfully reprobe the cdrom. I even got the sucker mounted
	and looked at a few directories so I guess the hardware works.
	Still don't know why it doesn't get found on boot probe - maybe
	I will experiment with yet longer wait times. Also, there seems
	to be some magic involved in getting the drive to swallow/eject
	a disk.

	If whomever claims ownership of aha1742.c will contact me I will
	explain why ahb_poll() can't work after boot is complete.

    Peter> Does anyone know where I can find the full spec for the NEC
    Peter> command set on the net?  ftp.nec.com is useless.

	I looked there also and agree. I think they are just getting onto
	the WWW bandwagon. Two years ago (already?) I was looking at an
	earlier version of a NEC CDROM drive and found tech  support eager
	to send me a copy of "CDROM Drive OEM Documentation" which
	detailed the SCSI command set, timing issues and how each of the
	listed drives supported the various commands. Of course the doc
	did not include the thing I was looking at - maybe they just wanted
	to get rid of some old paper and shut me up at the same time :-)
	I have made several attempts to call tech support this week. What
	do you all think of an answering machine that says something like:

	"Do to the overwhelming success of our CDROM program you may
	experience exceptionally long delays waiting for a line to become
	free..."

	I gave up after 30-mins of tape-loops and crummy muzak.

	Regards,
	Paul