Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:12:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>
To:        isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   innd can't remalloc

Hello,

my innd dies almost every day, and in the log I see messages like:

Dec 20 08:52:37 news innd: SERVER cant remalloc 2097408 bytes Cannot
allocate memory

This is always the last message from innd, until I restart rc.news .

I am running 2.1.5-RELEASE on this machine, and the problem is the same
with inn 1.4 and 1.5.1.

It seems to me that the crash occurs when the innd process grows to around
128 MB. I assume I am running into some kernel limitation, something like:
"no process may have more than 128 MB RAM resident", but I cannot see any
setting for that. Could anyone help me out ? I have already tried
increasing some limits with ulimit statements at the beginning of rc.news,
but this problem didn't go away.

Cheers,

Michael