Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 20:56:44 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 06:26:45PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> I was certainly not speaking of snapshots. EGCS _releases_ are
> extremely well tested and solid.

Maybe, but if you look at the mailing lists, there are tons of complains
and bugs against 1.0.2.  In fact, I can't even get it to compile under
Solaris 2.6.  GCC 2.8.1 does with no problem.

> Guys like Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>, author of the "FAQ for g++
> and libg++", happen to disagree:
>    [EGCS 1.0.x] is considerably more stable than 2.8.1 and vastly

Maybe under Linux, but I can only get 1 in 3 snap shots to even compile
under FreeBSD, and I haven't gotten any since 1.0.1 to compile under
Solaris with the stock `as', `ld' and SunPro C.  (I think I tried using
gcc too).  Which underscores my problem with EGCS -- it isn't tested
under near the number of machines as GCC.  It has a big part of the Linux
camp intertwined, and thus probably why it might be stable enough for RH
5.1.  Of course the EGCS community is also sending a *lot* of time
hacking EGCS so it would work the glibc2 stuff, rather than worry about
the C++ compiler itself...

> and there are already plans for an EGCS 1.1 release as well...

I dare say there are plans for a 1.2 release as well..
Just as there are plans *somewhere* for a FreeBSD 4.0.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)