Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 07:16:26 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IBM's radar screen?

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> I think the recent debacle with the T20 and A20 laptops
> actually helped to get us noticed.  Here someone in IBM
> probably made a dumb programming mistake which happened
> to make freebsd unusable on their hardware, and they got
> a whole bunch of their *customers* (owners of one of
> these laptops) beating them up for the problem.  Not
> freebsd.org making vague promises of sales based on
> freebsd, but actual customers using freebsd on IBM
> hardware.  IBM wants to sell as much hardware as they
> can, and so they are bound to be interested when they
> notice that some of their customers are using freebsd.

I was particularly gratified that when the story got slashdotted, a lot
of support came from people who didn't run FreeBSD, but did feel our
pain - Linux folks are in this sense part of the same community used to
the same shoddy treatment by hardware vendors (if you're not running
Winblows, it's unsupported, so go away). They helped make the response
larger and noisier.