Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:26:59 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        stefan@pong.ppp.de (Stefan Bethke)
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

Stefan Bethke stands accused of saying:

> Well, the few times I had to install '95 or NT (not that I would suggest
> '95 being an OS or anything), it detected the hardware (SMC Ultra, NE2000
> clones) without problems (the other cards were PCI). Also I've been told
> that '95 typically detects hardware quite nicely (I'm not talking PnP or
> PCI).
>
> I now have installed both 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 a few times, and I think better
> automatic probes would be helpful for people "who probably have no clue".

You're quite welcome to write one.  You do realise that the "if the disk
light stops blinking you should turn the machine off and on again" thing
is largely there because the sort of brutal probing necessary to find an
NE2000 is just the sort of thing that totally screws other devices (eg.
SCSI controllers etc.).

> P.S. if only the visual editor would support pcvt correctly...

What makes you say it doesn't?  And if it doesn't, where's the pr
explaining the problem?  How can we fix something if nobody will tell
us that it's broken?