Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:22:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rxscot2@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com (Rich Scott)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to buy NCR PCI-SCSI controllers?

Rich Scott stands accused of saying:
>  1) What is the latest model number of the NCR controllers? I've seen
>  mention of the NCRc825, but have yet to find any vendors (i.e. in
>  "Computer Shopper") that have that model. I understand the 810 works
>  very well, but am curious about the 825, or if there are any newer models
>  that supercede the 810. I've only got references to two vendors that
>  carry the NCRc810 at all;  does anybody have any vendor recommendations?

The 825 is a wide 815, which is an 810 with onboard memory.  (normally
the 810 reads its program from host memory across the PCI bus).

There is no successor to the 810 at this point in time.

>  2) ASUS apparently packages the 810 chip in a PCI SCSI controller of their
>  own;  I've read that their controller card will only work in their boards.
>  Is this true, so should I get an NCR card?

It's obviously not true, as I have one here in a Soyo motherboard. 8)
The Asus SC200 works fine, and has active termination onboard, unlike
all of the other cheapo 810 boards I've seen, which have passiver termination.
DO NOT RUN ONE OF THESE CONTROLLERS WITH PASSIVE TERMINATION! You will get
totally crap performance.

>  3) Is anybody running FreeBSD 2.x on a Tyan motherboard? Should I look
>  at other motherboards instead? (I'll be going directly to 2.1 when it
>  is released.)

As I mentioned above, I'm running on a Soyo board; I don't know the Tyan
board at all; make _very_ sure that it uses the Triton chipset, and you
should be fine.

> Rich Scott	DMP/MAE 	USWest Technologies, Denver, CO

Hey! USWest are still in business?!  I have one of their really oldish
Q-Bus SCSI controllers here - a strange animal with a sort of 'cluster
controller' that appears as a single device on the SCSI bus with multiple
SCSI devices hanging off it at the other end of the cable...

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[