Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 09:59:12 +0000
From:      <randymb@harborside.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Class B/Class C latency problems

We are currently running a 10.x network of 4 machines running
FreeBSD4.5
We've done the the same full install on each, and set all IPs to the
same class 10.x.x address subnet.

When our netmask is set to 255.255.255.0, transfers are very fast on
send and recieve.

When our netmask is set to 255.255.0.0, the send transfers are the
same speed as before. However, the recieve transfers are very slow.
(At least a 10th magnitude drop in speed)

The network cards we have tried are:
intel etherexpress Pro/100
netgear FA311

Has anyone else run across anything similar? We've tested the problem
with ftp and ssh.

Thank you for your help.

Randy