Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:46:03 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When I'm all done..

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:17:54PM +0000, Mark wrote:
>  ... Is it then possible to delete the following directories?
>=20
> /usr/src/
>=20
> And
>=20
> /usr/obj/
>=20
> And perhaps even,
>=20
> /usr/ports/
>=20
> For a small 'emergency' disk, I'd like to remove those directories, after
> the 4.9R install has fully completed. Can it be safely done? Or is anythi=
ng
> needed, at runtime, from those directories?

No -- those directories are only needed when you're rebuilding the
system or installing stuff from ports.  You can zap /usr/sup as well,
although it's probably empty unless you've used cvsup on that box.
You can probably live without /usr/doc, and you only need /usr/include
if you're going to be compiling stuff.  There's also quite a lot of
stuff under /usr/share that you can probably live without, although
you need to be a little more discriminating there.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way