Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:58:03 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm - stutters

Nick Hibma wrote:

> The output of my ESS 1869 stutters whenever there is no new data fed to
> it. For example pressing Ctrl-Z, or heavy disk usage (normally making
> mpg123 jump). The stuttering is repetition of one short fragment of
> about a quarter of a second, indefinitely

I can confirm this.  Whenever there is any substantial disk activity,
the output of mpg123 starts to jump and quiver (and sometimes skip).
Why would disk activity do this?  Must be an issue with bus latency,
because the ata and sound driver are trying to access the bus at the
same time.  Also, it seems like certain graphics ops in XFree86 3.9.17
make mpg123 jump and skip.  Strangely, RealPlayer doesn't suffer from
these problems.

- Donn