Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:43:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Khelbin Sunvold <khelbin@ntplx.net>
To:        bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:

> a)   If I find a conflict...what do I do..remove the conflicting
> driver/whatever?

It depends.  Here is what I recently handled such a problem though.  I
began installing FreeBSD on a computer equipped with a 3Com 509 ethernet
card and a Mitsumi CD-ROM drive.  FreeBSD by default put both of them at
the hex I/O of 0x300 (don't worry, i'm not 100% sure what that exactly
meant either but i don't need to know to be able to fix it).

So I had a conflict left over after removing all the unnecessay drivers.
What I did was get out my 3Com manual and see what I/O addresses and IRQ
ports were supported.  To make a long story short(er), I used the software
that was provided with my ethernet card (under DOS) to change the I/O
address to 0x200 and the IRQ to port 3.  Then in the FreeBSD installation,
I simply changed the settings while in visual mode to match that.  Then I
had an IRQ conflict with the second serial device but that was forseen and
I only require one serial device currently so I simply removed it.

That is one quick method of solving such problem if for some reason they
occur.  Out of three times installing freebsd, this was the first time i
was left with conflicts after removing all drivers that I did not need.

> b) Is it best to remove the drivers etc which don't appear relevant?

Yes, remove all the drivers that you do not require.  If you have an IDE
hard drive, remove all the SCSI drivers.  If you don't have an ethernet
card, remove them all and so on.  Do not enable drivers you do not need.

> What if I just leave them?

Then it will take longer for you to bootup and your kernel will be larger
than necessary.  Also you will most likely have some conflicts if you
leave everything there and this could spell trouble for the devices which
you do want to use.  Remember you can always go back and enable drivers
after you have installed the basics.

> c) Do I have to do the systems file thing...my guess is that if I
> wish to add modems and routing capabilities and dialout etc I might
> have to get all the system files too.

I don't quite understand this question but if you are installing from the
Walnut Creek CD, you have everything you need.

> d) When I have to choose the slices etc...do I just let the defaults
> happen? Are they enough given I wish to make this box a router ?

That's a tough question for me to answer given that I do not know what the
specs of your computer are and exactly what you want to do with it.  If
you absolutly *must* install FreeBSD now and have no clue as to how to
setup slices, use the defaults.  Otherwise, try to do some reading on the
subject or look for articles or post more to different groups like this.
:)