Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2013 23:06:50 +0200
From:      Joar Jegleim <joar.jegleim@gmail.com>
To:        Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regarding zfs send / receive

Hi Terje !
sorry for late reply, I've been checking my mail, forgetting that all my
mailing list mail are sorted into their own folders skipping inbox :p

the zfs sync setup is a huge advantage over rsync simply because
incremental rsync of the volume takes ~12 hours, while the zfs differential
snapshot's usually take less than a minute . Though it's only ~1TB of data,
it's  more than 2 million jpegs which rsync have to stat ...
I'm guessing my predecessor who chose this setup, over for instance HAST,
didn't feel confident enough regarding HAST in production ( I'm looking
into that for a future solution) .

There's no legacy stuff on the receiving end, old pools are deleted for
every sync. I haven't got my script here but google pointed me too
https://github.com/hoopty/zfs-sync/blob/master/zfs-sync which look like a
script very similar to the one I'm using .
In fact, I'm gonna take a closer look at that script and see what differs
from my script (apart from it being much prettier :p )
I didn't know about zpool.cache, gonna check that tomorrow, thanks.

--
Joar