Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:24:48 +0200
From:      Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        GB <gbrooks@BLUE-MOUSE.COM>
Subject:   Re: Answering the Questions (was Re: FreeBSD PR (long, rambling -- bear with me))

> > * What are we out in front on? Linux has a foothold in the corporate
> > I.T. world, OpenBSD has security and NetBSD has portability. What's o=
ur
> > niche? Related question: Out of this niche and our identified strengt=
hs,
> > what's our "elevator story?" (The 1-2 minute spiel what says what
> > FreeBSD is, why it's good and why it matters.)
>
> We are the "friendly BSD".

Stability, performance and security? I think FreeBSD is more versatile th=
an=20
the other BSD's (hope I'm not offending anyone here), and should thus be=20
marketed as a versatile operating system. Our main points of focus should=
 be=20
stability and security, as those things are very important to a lot of pe=
ople=20
making decisions about operating systems.

The comparison to Linux can be divided in the license issues, the fact th=
at we=20
have one OS (instead of many distributions) that is also easier to upgrad=
e &=20
maintain, and stability.

> > * Professionally formatted white paper comparing FreeBSD-based soluti=
ons
> > to Windows/Linux in various situations.
>
> These would be excellent tools for systems administrators seeking to
> use FreeBSD.

I have a presentation (OpenOffice Impress format) at my work to convince=20
companies to use FreeBSD on their servers and / or workstations, which ta=
lks=20
about FreeBSD vs. Windows and, to a lesser extent, about FreeBSD vs. Linu=
x. I=20
have to ask permission first to make it publicly available, but if you wa=
nt=20
it, I'm sure I can get it.

Arjan