Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:02:13 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        FreeBSD-Multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Utah-GLX and Hardware AGP acceleration.

Hi -Multimedia,

I'm running a FreeBSD 4.3-S system with a ATI Rage Pro graphics card
(AGP 2x) and X3.3.6. I built Utah-GLX (out of cvs) for it.  It would
not compile with the linux hardware AGP support (of course), but there
was a link to a source tarball which would build a kernel module that
implements the agpgart driver for FreeBSD 3.x.  It fails on compile on
my 4.3-S system.  The GLX hardware acceleration works, but it's
performance is unsatisfactory without the AGP acceleration, and this
is to be expected as this point was made clear on the utah-glx page
(http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net).  Interestingly, there exists a
/dev/agpgart device, but the testgart program included with the
agpgart driver off the utah-glx website (http://) tries to open() it
unsuccessfully - it returns 'Device not configured' (yes I have agp.ko
loaded).  Anybody run into similar problems?  Any suggestions guys?

Thanks.

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>

P.S. Yes I know utah-glx is considered old but the DRI stuff in X4
does not grok Mach64-based cards (yet).