Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:23:46 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tunings for many httpds...

Patrick Thomas wrote:
> Ok, I'm confused now - so I understood you to originally say that SHM does
> not eat into KVA regardless of whether I set the kern.ipc.shm_use_phys to
> '1' or not.

Don't be confused.  It takes 1/1024th of the KVA space I thought
it did, times the number of processes atached to the segment.
Setting the sysctl reduces this overhead by getting rid of the
swap mappings.

You can try it.  I don't expect it to work.

The reason I don't expect it to work is that without the sysctl,
it's allocating swappable memory, and you are never getting to
the point where you are seeing any swapping, therefore it probably
won't matter.

Q: Has the machine where you've gone to a 2G KVA crashed at the
appointed hour yet?

-- Terry