Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:56:01 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer    kernels

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:38 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

> [ ... ] however part of the point I was trying to make is that
> the new procedure is rather more complex than what we had been
> doing so far, and that perhaps this process should be improved.
> ;-)

The point I was taking from this HEADS UP was as such:

You're free (and welcome) to do what you did before.  But if you
do and fail, HELP YOURSELF.  Because you _can_ -- or at least are
supposed to be able to.

- If unsure whether you did something wrong (or want to try a
  different mechanism than the one you're stuck with) or
- if unsure whether to report a broken build or discover you
  where the problem yourself and don't want to publish this too
  soon or
- if dazed of all the dependencies and afraid of learning about
  all of them right now (maybe the hard way)

- or to MAKE SURE IN GENERAL

go follow the safe road.  And otherwise be prepared to hear "You
wanted it, you got it.  Go and correct your own mistakes.  And
take it as a lesson for the next time.  And when in doubt leave
the list members alone from this "failure" which isn't one!".

I read this HEADS UP as an aid for the faint of heart or the ones
searching for a "simple, straight and success promising path"
with not much decisions to make or learning effort to pay before.
It's the usual "Use the resources available at your own hands
before bothering others" and I do understand this *very* well.

Given the fact that the buildworld time can be used to do
something useful (reading docs or reading email messages or
searching the archives or writing some code or paper or whatever
is the current task for "when there's a silent moment", and
rumours say there's a life besides computers, too:) this isn't
too hard a restriction.  And given todays desktop machines the
buildworld time seems tolerable (two hours of background work
maybe?).  This holds even more when updating is not the primary
job of the machine in itself but only happens a few times a year.
Unless you're toying with FreeBSD and are willing to spend this
time (to repeat it: it's background time and nothing you _have_
to wait for unless actively developing code) or are able to cut
corners -- but see above and blame yourself for failures.

This is a "quick" and safe (no quotes!) work around for the
repeatedly reported non-failures taking burdon from the list.
And I'm convinced the procedure will be smoothened / speed up /
improved / made more flexible / whatever as time passes ...

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net