Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:18:38 +0400
From:      Sergey Zaharchenko <doublef-ctm@yandex.ru>
To:        Peter Ross <Peter.Ross@bogen.in-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google Chrome

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

Hello Peter!

Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:56:05PM +1000 you wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
>=20
> > Google Chrome is open source.  If you're really worried that it might be
> > secretly collecting data about you and sending it to Google ..
>=20
> I just double-checked the thread, I could not see someone mentioning it:
>=20
> http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
> When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type ar=
e=20
> sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms o=
r=20
> URLs you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with=
=20
> Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send=
=20
> that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as=20
> explained here. =20
>=20
> If I read it correctly:
>=20
> _Every_ time you type into your ('conveniently' combined) URL/search=20
> field, it gets immediately send to Google.
>=20
> In other words: Google can record your webbrowsing.

You may be interested in knowing that the same feature is present in
other browsers. Get your proxy to ban urls containing
`google.com/complete/search' if that's a concern (as for me, it's just
annoying).

--=20
DoubleF
No virus detected in this message. Ehrm, wait a minute...
/kernel: pid 56921 (antivirus), uid 32000: exited on signal 9
Oh yes, no virus:)

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G--