Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:38:01 +0900
From:      Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a Linuxulator userland from source

# my email was not received by emulation@FreeBSD, I'm not a subscriber of it. :)

Linux branded ELF is executed by linuxulator no matter where it is placed on /, right?
Binaries running on linuxulator have priority access to files in /compat/linux.

So far, I understand 😂

What I don't understand is...
If a linux binary running on linuxulator can't find a linux library, but can find a FreeBSD library, can it link and use that FreeBSD library?
In almost all cases, linux binaries are linked with libraries that are patch-patch-patch-patch-patch-patch-patch-security-fix-security-fix-security-fix-security-fix-security-fix-ed (big modified) to older version, so we don't encounter such a situation.

Another problem is that linuxulator does not work for the shell script shbang.
The "bash scripts" installed on /compat/linux, such as ldd, try to use freebsd bash outside of /compat/linux.

I think there was something strange about that even in its current state, so it might be better to just hard-code /compat/linux in various places.

Regards.