Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:10:50 GMT
From:      PEB@amleth.demon.co.uk (Paul E. Bennett)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org

In message <XFMail.010108150108.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:

> On 07-Jan-01 Paul E. Bennett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to the FreeBSD world and have a new blank laptop on which I am
> > aiming to place FreeBSD. However, I have enjoyed some playing with the
> > FICL boot-loader that is part of the PicoBSD floppy disk I obtained from
> > the web-site. I emailed Andrzej and he advised...
>
> If you want to talk about running FreeBSD on your laptop, the right list to ask
> about is on freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org, which is where all the laptop users
> hang out, more or less.
>
> > Therefore I would appreciate joining in with the discussions here and
> > obtaining pointers to some of the archives.

As you see, I have been asking around a bit. I trust that I am now in the
right place.

> > For the record, the new laptop is:-
> >
> >   Dell Inspiron 3800
> >   128Mb memory (DIMM)
> >   12Gb HDD
> >   2 PCMCIA slots
> >   IrDa port
> >   Comms Port
> >   USB port
> >   CD-ROM
> >   FDD (on printer port)
> >   ECP/EPP/Printer port
> >   Extension bus.
> >   Trackpad mouse+
> >
> > I plan to use a Silicom SEM33 Ethermodem module in the PCMICIA for
> > network and phone communications facilities.

I will also add that I am looking at setting the laptop up more as a
workstation that will enable me to continue the rather mobile
developments and presentations I am involved with. I will be
implementing FreeBSD on other machines that will act as servers of
one sort or another.

Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>;
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-814586 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.