Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:20:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reality check on ESS Technology Maestro-2E h/w "mute" function?

>From: "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
>Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:15:41 +0100

>what brand/model of laptop?

It's a Compal N38W2, sold by M-Tech as their "30W".  There's more stuff
(technical term, there) at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html.

>> So... is this Weird(er than usual) Hardware?  Is the value 0x99 a useful
>> one for someone, or do I get to file a PR requesting a change to the value
>> 0x77?  (If 0x99 *is* useful, I guess I need to figure out how to
>> distinguish one from the other....)

>jhb@freebsd.org implemented the feature, and it apparently works on his
>dell.  i'm not sure there is a good way to generalise it though.

Huh.  I had *thought* that te N38W2 was quite similar to the Dell
Inspiron 5000e.  It could be a Bios variation, I suppose....

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.