Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2018 01:05:59 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   possible POLA violation for NFS server to make it Linux compatible

It was my understanding that the NFSv4 working group believed that the requ=
irement
for the NFSv4 client to use a priviledged port# (< 1024) should not exist.
As such, I coded the server to ignore the vfs.nfsd.nfs_privport sysctl and =
allow the
mount for NFSv4.

PR#234106 has reported this as a compatibility issue w.r.t. the Linux NFS s=
erver.

The change to make the FreeBSD NFSv4 server use vfs.nfsd.nfs_privport is tr=
ivial
and I think being compatible with Linux is important (I see it as the defac=
standard NFS implementation these days).

However, I am concerned that this change will result in a slight POLA viola=
tion
for sites with vfs.nfsd.nfs_privport set, but doing NFSv4 mounts that might=
 now fail.
What do others think I should do?

rick