Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:34:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fact or Fiction (Unix vs NT)

I have a 100baseT network in my home. There are 4 Windows based
systems (3NT and Win98). My hub shows >30% when I transfer files from
one of my MS machine's to another MS machine using drag and drop. The
%1 led lights up with FreeBSD. I see 200-400KB/sec (just like a few
other people have been seeing on the list) when I FTP to my FreeBSD
version 3.1 system. I tried ftp'ing files to my NT server. The only
activity when I started the file transfers was an occasional
heartbeat. What I recorded was 630-650KB for two files to NT. The same
two files going to FreeBSD averaged 340-353KB. I have a few 16MB
tarballs that I will try later.

The web server violates tradition. Why would MS go to Unix on their
news servers if NT can handle the load. Rootsweb at
ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/review/ commented in the 24 Feb 1999
article that they handled 85 Million Hits and 154 Million E-mails on
systems that I think are based on Linux. They would argue the point.

Kent

Michael Slater wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I realise this relates more to Linux, but in my company which if
> full of NT Fanatics they are taking this as gospel and using it as an
> argument that NT Rules and Linux and FreeBSD cant do the job! Can
> anybody point me to similiar benchmarks that dispute the letter below ?
>
> regards,
>
> Michael Slater
> Internet Express
>
> > LOS GATOS, Calif., April 13. Today, Mindcraft released the results
> > of a study comparing the performance of Red Hat Linux 5.2 (updated
> > to the Linux 2.2.2 kernel) and Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
> > operating systems. According to the report, Windows NT Server
> > provides over three and a half times the performance of Linux as a
> > Web server.  Furthermore, the report shows that when testing Windows
> > NT Server and Linux as file servers, Windows NT Server provides over
> > two and a half times the performance of Linux.  The full report,
> > including all of the details needed to reproduce the tests, is on
> > Mindcraft's Web site at:
> >
> > http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html.
> >
> > Using benchmarks from Ziff-Davis Benchmark Operation (ZDBOp), the
> > report compares the peak performance levels of both Windows NT
> > Server and Linux configured both as a file server and a Web server.
> >
> > All tests were performed on a standard Dell PowerEdge 6300/400 server
> > with four 400-MHz Xeon CPUs, 1GB RAM (960MB for Linux -- this is the
> > default maximum amount of RAM that Linux supports).  To simulate a
> > client load, Mindcraft used 144 physical client test systems; half
> > were running Windows 95 and the other half were running Windows 98.
> >
> > Both Linux and Windows NT Server were tuned to perform optimally under
> > each of the two workloads.  "We started the tests using standard Red
> > Hat
> > Linux 5.2 but had to update it because it does not support hardware
> > RAID
> > controllers and SMP at the same time," said Mindcraft's president,
> > Bruce
> > Weiner.  "Linux definitely takes more time and resources to tune and
> > configure than Windows NT Server.  You have to search the Net to find
> > the
> > latest kernel and driver versions to get the highest performance and
> > most
> > reliable modules. Then when you're done, Linux fails to deliver the
> > same
> > level of performance as Windows NT Server on enterprise-class
> > servers."
> >
> > Mindcraft's report shows that using ZDBOp's WebBench 2.0 Web server
> > benchmark, Windows NT Server and Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0
> > reach a peak of 3,771 requests/second and 22.4 Megabits/second(Mbps)
> > of
> > throughput. The report goes on to show that Linux and the Apache 1.3.4
> >
> > Web server reach a peak of 1,000 request/second and 5.9 Mbps of
> [...]

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html