Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:46:29 -0600
From:      "Jacob Suter" <jsuter@intrastar.net>
To:        "dennis" <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

> Dont take it personally...it just seems funny that anyone who
> is worried about minor cooling issues would run a processor
> at such a dangerous temperature. Its not a big win financially,
> and seems like its not worth the risk. The irony is that people
> who are spending thousands of extra dollars because they 're
> worried about a hard drive failure might just be likely to pay the
> extra few dollars for a Pentium with proper cooling

Look at it from AMD's perspective:

Sell a 5x86/160 (40mhz x 4) chip for $50, or a k5/100 for $100...

Which one would you do?

My 5x86/'133' running 160 run at about 85 with a small heat sink/ball
bearing fan on it.  the motherboard is capable of 40 MHz safely (came
with a 486dx4/120 on it), and I would consider 8 months straight
through running NT and FreeBSD (started with NT) without any crashes
decent testing...  I do keep a backup MB & CPU around, but any ISP
should have some backup hardware around...

JS