Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 15:28:47 +0100
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> types:
> > "JL" <jl@burghcom.com> writes:
> > > If you want a reliable and stable SQL server, MySQL runs without linux emu
> > > and fits that bill.
> > No.  MySQL is a fast-but-not-very-reliable storage manager with an
> > SQL-like query and update language.  PostgreSQL, on the other hand, is
> > an SQL RDBMS.
>
> I never had much problems with reliability of MySQL, beyond the
> problems created by bugs in the code I had to provide to work around
> the lack of transactions. That was sufficient to convince me to never
> again use an RDBMS that doesn't have transaction support. I've been
> told MySQL has since acquired support for transactions, but haven't
> checked. If it's still missing referential integrity, I'd still look
> elsewhere.

MySQL does have limited[*] transaction support when using Berkeley
tables.

I don't think MySQL will ever get referential integigrety ( FOREIGN KEYs
et al ).
Besides, there are also caevets when using such things.

Remember the purpose of MySQL: It is a fast, cheap and cheerful database
system for those who need something meatier than MSQL but not as fat as
PostgreSQL.

It has it's niche. Just because it lacks feature XYZ doesn't mean it's
completely useless.... It only means that there some tasks are
ill-advised to do without at least some extra thought. More many tasks
which the average person is performing, it is more than adequate.

Note * - If you're being strict about the definitions, it is limited.

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670