Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:19:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        Dave <dave@dbtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: master.passwd conversion

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Dave wrote:

> Hi, I am moving a customer from a 2.1.6 box to 4.1
> Is there anyway or a utility to convert the master.passwd file to retain the
> current passwords. They have several hundred users.

The format has not changed.

merge the master.passwd from the 2.1.6 box with the new one from the 4.1
box using vi or any other editor.

save the new file to /etc/master.passwd.new

run pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd.new

This will build /etc/pwd.db /etc/spwd.db and /etc/passwd and install a new
/etc/master.passwd

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
Toplink