Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:31:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        ingrid@cityscope.net
Cc:        Bill Swingle <bill@cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDCon '99

>     Only thing I see right now is that the price of a convention for people
> used to getting their software FREE, is a bit high.  The hotel is high, the
> booths are high, the tables are high, .  My personal opinion is make it
> reasonable for ANYONE to attend with an interest in FreeBSD. You'll get more
> people and exposure.  Isn't that what we want guys?

Welcome to the real world. :(

Hotels are expensive, convention space is expensive, it's all
expensive.  Believe me, we worked like crazy to get the room and
registration fees as low as possible but unless you want us all to go
way into the red just putting this event together (thus assuring that
we're never able to hold another such event again), it's just going to
cost what it costs.  Speakers need to be flown out the core team needs
to have their costs subsidized so that they can all show up at all,
none of this is free - in fact, it's extremely expensive. The hotel
also extracts its own pound of flesh since they're in this game to
make money, not to help us promote our operating system. :-(

We're also actively seeking sponsors in an attempt to defray costs, but
that's only going to go so far since people handing you free money in
a sack are far and few between, and even with their help the costs are still
very high and won't be reduced all that much.

Like I said, welcome to the real world. :(

> This conference doesn't have a track record yet, on how many people will be
> there, etc.. right?

Correct, so we have to assume the worst in terms of how much the registration
fees will help us.

- Jordan