Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:19:28 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Looking for some knowledge on EasyIO-4 cards

I've got a circa 1996 Stallion EasyIO-4 serial card here, based on the
Cirrius Logic 1400 chip, and althought there are some files still in the
4.3-RC related to it, it simply doesn't want to work with the lates
releases.

It appeears to compile into the kernel ok, and shows up in dmesg. I can even
get a modem attached to a port to ... hmmm... kind of respond. However, it
doesn't actually work - can't control the modem at all. I get a warning from
the kernel about the way it calls dev_t, and dmesg warns that it is using
old shims.

so. Is there anyone out there who knows about these sorts of things who
might like to help a bit in getting this code up to speed for the latest
releases. There are a number of unsupported versions of the driver on
ftp.stallion.com as well as the code in the /usr/src/sys tree. See
README.stl in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa for more (outdated) detail.

It would be really nice to get this board going. Stallion stuff is very
robust and has been around for years. I don't know why it hasn't made
inroads much past SCO... and with a modem on one port, the UPS on another
port (com1/com2) I'm pretty much in need of more ports - not to mention no
mouse....

I'm reasonable familiar with C and stuff, programming in general, although
not much in the serial department.

Thanks for any help if anyone would like a small challenge....

cheers
Robert