Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 96 16:17:00 PDT
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI patch

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 sos@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> > > I think what he was wondering was whether you'd managed to make the
> > > GoldStar work with any *less* delays, e.g. is each and every one of
them
> > > known to be necessary?
> >
> > Ugh. Got a point.
> > Yeah - i think it is possible to stay DELAYs only in atapi_probe() - all
others
> > are not so neccesary.
> >
> > P.S. sorry for such unended patch - but as i said before it's just a
hack
to get work CDROM. I hope someone sometime will able to write complet ATAPI
driver and we will remeber this prolems just as a nightmare that have passed
:)

> As I have allready stated, I'm on to it, but given the gigantic
> (!NOT) response I have gotten so far, NOONE really seems to care
> about it,
>
> SO GUYS IF YOU WANT A FUNCTIONAL ATA/ATAPI DRIVER READ MY POSTING !!!
>
> I will spend what I have of time on it, but I don't have a budget
> that allows me to go out and buy zillions of different devices....

I have a Sony CD76 which I will happily test on.

It does seem to work fine in 2.1, even as the master on the second
ide channel. It does not consistently report the same information when
probed
but this doesn't seem to matter.

Duncan