Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:10:38 +0200
From:      "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        jkoshy@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TET and other testing framework for FreeBSD

Quoting "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com> (from Mon, 21 Jul 2008 =20
23:43:11 -0700):

> Hi Joseph (and hackers),
>       I'm contacting Joseph primarily because I saw his name listed
> under the TET page (http://wiki.freebsd.org/TetIntegration) as a
> contact and was wondering whether or not there was any interest to
> integrate test suites outside of TET into FreeBSD, but I'm also
> involving hackers@ because there might be some references that someone
> can provide me for other @freebsd folks.

AFAIK there's no TET stuff for FreeBSD available in public. So I would =20
say it's more having regression tests available (making them compile =20
and run on FreeBSD, having a look at the failing tests and see if it =20
is a problem with the test or with FreeBSD ... see below for my =20
experience with the LTP) at all, than integrating them.

>       I ask because my work with LTP (Linux Test Project :
> http://ltp.sf.net) for Cisco has allowed me some insight into using
> OpenPOSIX and Ballista testing frameworks, which may prove helpful in
> the release testing cause, and could help in detecting faults earlier
> on, thus helping expedite the release process a bit more and
> increasing confidence and interest in FreeBSD.

Do you have any URLs or whatever besides the LTP one (where those are =20
integrated) to get those tests from an official point instead from =20
cutting it out of the LTP?

>       I'm pretty sure I have the blessings of the Ballista project's
> principal investigator to relicense it under the BSD / GPL license,
> it's currently a 'dead project' and he gave his blessings to post the
> source up on Sourceforge, but I'll double check to make sure I have
> his AOK before doing so...

I think it would be beneficial so the what this produces on FreeBSD =20
(the license doesn't matter here) before we go and talk about =20
integration (here the license matters).

>       I'm also working on getting tst_res (1.) dually licensed from
> the LTP folks with a BSD / GPL license to allow for better inclusion
> into FreeBSD's infrastructure, to ensure that we have a deterministic
> means of dealing with testcases and reporting.
> Just wondering what, if any, interest would be in adopting and
> applying this work to FreeBSD for the good of the community.

If this is what is used in the LTP to run some tests, I have to say it =20
does not look mature. I've run the LTP a lot in FreeBSD (native linux =20
binaries, http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/linux-kernel/ltp ... LTP not run and =20
updated the page since a long time) to test the linux compatibility =20
layer, and the are several places where tests fail and no output is =20
produced or even the summary said the test passed. I even opened bug =20
reports at the LTP page on SF, but it seems nobody was interested in =20
those reports.

There are also some other ideas, like using the protocol the perl test =20
suites use, to be able to use existing perl stuff to generate reports =20
and overviews out of the generated logs (AFAIR this was the idea =20
behind some changes to the existing regression tests a long time ago).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
I read Playboy for the same reason I read National Geographic.
To see the sights I'm never going to visit.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137