Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:44:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org, freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Also interested in testing

Peter Grehan writes:
 > > In fact, when I was playing with this, the loader couldn't really pass
 > > the root device to the kernel either, since you need to specify the
 > > root device in OFW syntax (<30 chars or so of hex and device names>),
 > > not FreeBSD syntax (ad0s10).  So in either case, the kernel would
 > > stop and ask for its root.
 >
 >  This has to be fixed, but in the meantime, at the loader prompt you can issue
 > something like:
 >
 >   > set vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad0s11
 >
 >  and then boot.

Yes, of course.  But its shorter to type ufs:ad0s11 at the mountroot
prompt ;)

What's the prognosis for the loader learning enough about HFS or HFS+
to be able to pull its configuration from files?

Alternatively, I wonder if we could teach the OS-X boot loader about
FFS so that it could load the loader from a FFS partition, and the
loader could remain blissfully ignorant about HFS.

Drew