Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:36:58 -0800
From:      Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
To:        Feng Li <fengli@kddia.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any mirroring product or backup product ?

Hi,

The low cost way to go is with Promise Technology IDE RAID cards.  They have
very cheap RAID 1 mirroring cards as well as more expensive RAID5.

We use the RAID1 cards, and have many motherboards with the Promise RAID
built right in, and have had great success.  We can hot swap the units now
with the atacontrol command to dettach drives and then rebuild in the
background without ever having to take a system down.

A better way to go is with Escalade series cards.  More expensive, but up to
8 separate channels of RAID5.

The software solution for RAID on FreeBSD is called vinum - its in the ports
tree I think, and there are how-tos that can be found via Google.  Its free,
but I would definitely recommend using hardware based RAID from the point of
view of being able to manage it easier.

Good luck,

- Mike

On 10/31/02 3:36 PM, "Feng Li" <fengli@kddia.com> wrote:

> Hello, Friends
>

> I have some FreeBSD machines, I need to improve their reliability.
> Is there any Hard disk Mirroring feature(such as RAID 1, RAID 0+1,etc)
> in FreeBSD system ? Or I can add this kind of feature on FreeBSD
> system ?
>

> Or is there any backup product which can backup FreeBSD system and
> the data ?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance !!!
>
> Feng

Michael F. DeMan