Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 07:51:14 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc van Kempen <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to FreeBSD hosts

>Hi,
>
>I have noticed something awkward. I can't connect to FreeBSD machines
>on the net. I have no problems reaching other hosts (via ppp), but all
>connections to FreeBSD machines seem to succeed, only to hang after
>the initial contact.

Disable RFC1644 and RFC1323 negotiation.  The pppd of your service
provider can't handle it.  From /etc/netstart:

if [ -n "$tcp_extensions" -a "x$tcp_extensions" = "xNO" ] ; then
        sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
        sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1644=0
fi

You can just set the tcp_extensions sysconfig variable appropriately.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM