Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:20:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de (Stefan Eggers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: lpt port scanners (was: Re: What options for BW quickcam on 2.2.7 ? )

> > the effort, but for scanners etc it would be a very nice thing to do
> > given that a lot of scanners on the market now seem to use the parallel
> > port).
>
> If I knew a company which manufactures them and gives out detailed
> information about the protocol used I'd probably have one already as a
> scanner would be a nice addition to my machine.  Anybody knowing one
> who does have documentation and gives them out w/o NDA or other silly
> things preventing real use in FreeBSD?

i think we are not going to have any help from manufacturers. The only
viable approach i think is if someone happens to have the hardware and
either there is some scsi stuff implemented on top of the lpt
interface, or there is some linux driver that one can use as a source.

The only nice thing is that scanners have generally a simple logical
interface

	cheers
	luigi