Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 11:50:27 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@freebsd.org (FreeBSd Chat list)
Cc:        francisco@natserv.com (Francisco Reyes), andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu (Annelise Anderson), INVALID_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

As Francisco Reyes wrote:

> -Make it easier for new people to get involved. How about making
> someone (preferably someone familiar with all the people involved with
> FreeBSD) incharge of helping new volunteers.

Well, that would be a fairly dreaded task then.  Remember, most of us
are here for fun, and `fun' spells for many of us like `coding'.  So
while we are certainly all willing to take our share, and get new
volunteers flying (i remember that i've helped a few people to find a
start in the project, like Peter Dufault, or John Polstra), we rather
prefer doing so _in addition_ to other tasks.  If done right, it will
become an (albeit slow) chain reaction since those new contributors
will one day also be able to `mentor' new people.

Trying to dump over this task to a single person is something i
suspect will be a dead end.

> Make it easier to submit documentation.

Hmm, i don't have an idea about the current size of activities of the
`docs' folks.  I always refer interested parties to their mailing
list.

--
cheers, J"org