Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (ITG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        dan@math.berkeley.edu, paulo@nlink.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  FBSD & PII

There is nothing to be worried if you have some free disk space --
(DOS fdisk partition, or called slice under FreeBSD).
FreeBSD installation will take care the rest thing for you.

I have a disk runs DOS / FreeBSD 2.1.7 / FreeBSD 2.2.6 / FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP.
The boot manager will prompt you to boot one of them with F1/F2/F3/F4 key.

	-Jin

:> I'm thinking to start use FBSD 3.0 with multi-processor but I would like
:> to have in another partition my good friend FBSD 2.2.6 :-), is this
:> possible? Did anyone do this?
:
:It should be possible in theory, but I anticipate serious problems in
:practice.  You would have to make sure that you always used the slice
:specific disk device names and never the "compatibility" slice.
:
:For example, your fstab would have to specify one of /dev/sd0s{1,2,3,4}f
:instead of /dev/sd0f.  I am not sure how you would manage slice
:selection during bootstrap, selecting the initial swap partition, and
:initial mounting of the root file system.  I would worry about disk
:utilities (such as the disklabel program) always doing the right thing.
:I would worry about the FreeBSD installation process always using the
:specified slice.